[Sugar-devel] Proposal to move communication to other platform

Bottersnike bottersnike237 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 14:46:10 EST 2020

I think one of the main issues with IRC is the onboarding experience, or
rather lack thereof. For new users, they're faced with an entirely blank
screen, with no trivial way to search for past questions, see if a topic
has been brought up before, or even just read through history to get a
general idea of the way the organization operates. Sure, there may be
archives maintained, but for someone who has just discovered SugarLabs and
wants to contribute, that really isn't going to be a viable solution,
because it takes significant effort to hunt them down and search through
them. For established teams, this isn't much of an issue, but it can make
SugarLabs an incredibly daunting organization for young students from, say
GCI, or people looking around at different organizations for GSoC.

> I use Quassel, as it keeps backlog.

Most clients keep a backlog, but only if your computer is on. That's not
the situation 24/7 for a lot of people.

(Sorry for the double message, James. I accidentally used Reply not Reply
All)