[Sugar-devel] Proposal to move communication to other platform

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Mar 4 14:15:11 EST 2020

Thanks for asking.

For real-time presence messaging, please use IRC channel #sugar on
freenode.net.  Your choice of client.  I use Quassel, as it keeps
backlog.

For store and forward messaging, please use the mailing list.  Your
choice of client.

You'll get a voice on choice of tools once you've been working with us
for a few months.  Until then we can't trust that you've assessed the
situation accurately.

Gitter.im was yet another attempt to split our community into the
haves and the have-nots.  I'm almost ready to ditch my account there
because it has way less benefit than the cost.  Of receiving a mail
notification, logging in, and answering the same old questions.  It is
quite boring.  You can see that if you look through the previous
discussion, which you'll find was entirely sporadic; someone
has a question, I answer, nothing else happens.  It could have been
done in mail.  It costs so much memory and screen real-estate that I
can't see myself staying connected.  I certainly don't want it
promoted for Sugar Labs, but I'm willing to keep it available in case
it turns out to be useful for working with anyone who can't figure out
how to use IRC.  We must allow for the possibility that someone with a
disability has been given access to Gitter.im but not to IRC.  So a
matter of inclusiveness, but not emphasis.

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 08:03:31PM +0530, Prashant Sengar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sure this request must have been raised earlier as well. I wanted to ask
> if Sugar could create a communication channel on another platform such as a
> discord server, Slack or Telegram instead of IRC to make communication easier.
>
> The reason why others will be a better option:
> 1. The chats will be accessible even if I am offline for a while, unlike IRC
> where I cannot see any earlier data.
> 2. IRC cannot be used on mobile devices, so it creates a barrier in
> communication. On the other hand, the other chat applications are available on
> all platforms for everyone to use.
>
> I would like to request the team to please consider this request. If such
> request has been made earlier and denied due to some reasons, then I would like
> to know them so that I can understand the reasons and work accordingly.
>
> Regards.
> Prashant Sengar

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/