[Sugar-devel] licensing question

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Thu May 24 19:26:32 EDT 2018

Thanks for this. ASLO is our access to a rich library of Sugar
activities. It has and continues to work well. Walter's recent post of
Turtle Blocks version 218 is exemplary of the proper process and that it
works.

The problem with ASLO is neglect of the actvities. Walter initiated a
move of activity source code to github. The apparent goal of this
initiative is to deal with the fact that the original contributor of
most activities is no longer activie. Moving the source to github has no
technical basis (the source code for an activity is in the xo bundle and
has the advantage of being the code actually executed on the device. It
is to open up maintenance of the activities to any member of the
community - something not possible in the ASLO process.

One of the problems in ASLO is that the activity is claimed to work with
all versions of Sugar bewteen 0.82 and 0.104 - something which not
verifiable and probably not true.

One option is to assert that activities work on 0.110 and 0.112 since
that assertion can be tested. We could have an LTS version of Sugar and
assert that activities will be updated to work on that version over a
period of time. Along with this we need a help line (help at sugarlabs.org
where users can report problems or ask how to accomplish a particular
task, or to request a new capability. This could be monitored by
experienced users (support gang). This technique was accomplished for
OLPC by Adam Holt and was one of the most important factors in expanding
use of the XO.

Tony

>>> [4]http://www.sugarlabs.org/
>>> [5]http://www.sugarlabs.org/