[Sugar-devel] Python is good - don't waste time (was Re: The future of Sugar on XO-1s)

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Apr 6 23:46:56 EDT 2016

Actually not. The problem is that I really believe the deployed system
needs to be free, meaning the deployment needs to pay no subscription
fees or royalties to continue to use the device. Microsoft (and other
vendors) suffer from the buy once model. All of them are trying to find
a way to get a stable revenue stream as the telecoms do. Technically,
the 'cloud' is a sham. There is no way to provide a computer which is 50
times faster than the one in your hand. So having users execute code on
a server is a non-starter. HTML is ok because the work is done on the
client. Cloud storage is ok because the server action is as a file
server, low processor overhead. Formatting Word documents on a server is
not economical - unless that is your source of revenue.

Durability yes, but the price premium is 2x. There will (and probably
are) a plethora of 'head start' computers with such packages. However,
with Sugar and a school server, we already put them to shame.

Tony