[Sugar-devel] Python is good - don't waste time (was Re: The future of Sugar on XO-1s)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Apr 6 23:24:51 EDT 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 20:49, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> Our need is a deployable device - one that can be purchased in quantities
> of 30+.
> If we develop a technique to install Sugar on such a device, that can be
> done for all of them at
> the time of deployment. So, if anyone can find a suitable tablet with a
> manageable price (less than $100)
> and can install Sugar on it from a usb drive - it would be a boon.

:D

> Sora Edwards-Thro is planning a deployment with the $50 Kindle Fire (an
> Android derivative). Her intent
> is to use Sugarizer. I would recommend adding the GCompris Android
> version. What she really needs is
> a Sugarized version of the WriteBook activity. So far, no one has stepped
> up to take that on. Naturally, the strategic
> interest is how well the Kindle supports learning.

Fascinating!

I see
http://gizmodo.com/amazons-50-fire-tablet-is-the-impulse-buy-that-never-e-1731275123
from 2015-09-17:

If what you’re really looking for is durability, though, the $100 Fire Kids
Edition is the one you probably want. Big, lifeproof rubber bumper, a
2-year no-questions-asked replacement policy, a kid-friendly web browser
you can turn off or add whitelisted sites to, and 10,000 pre-approved
titles for junior to safely watch.