[Sugar-devel] Docker in Sugar/XO laptop

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed May 27 02:09:23 EDT 2015

On 26/05/15 09:01, Tony Anderson wrote:
> My confusion was the reference to pippy for writing web apps. I assume
> the reference to Flask was to
> the availability of Python packages to install. My remarks were that
> it would be difficult to set up Flask or Django
> on a school server and have students create applications from a
> systems administration point of view.

I think you are overcomplicating the task.
Here is a simple hello world in Flask+HTML:

from flask import Flask
app = Flask(__name__)

@app.route("/")
def hello():

if __name__ == "__main__":
    app.run()

You can run this and visit http://localhost:5000/ from any browser. No
need on a server until you need to deploy a finished app.

> At some point, students learning to program should understand
> message-passing whether between processes or between server and
> client. My leaning is to
> a 'bare bones' approach, not basing the learning on a framework
> intended to make the mechanics invisible. That can come later as the
> student develops experience and an understanding of work flow.

I do think a little hand holding can't hurt. IMHO that's what Sugar is
about.

> I am not sure I understand the distinction between exploration and
> production in this context. At my last workshop, we needed to use GIMP
> to crop and resize images. Naturally we could have used GIMP in Sugar
> from the command line. Using GIMP to crop images is certainly
> production, although needed in a context of exploration (printing
> booklets).
I think we have a confusion of terms here. I consider production a
program which is ready for deployment (to users). I wasn't referring to
/producing /artifacts.
BTW the Gimp works fine under Sugar, only missing the ability to be
launched from an icon. I find the prospect of writing wrappers for every
GNU/Linux program absurd and hope Sugar will eventually be a well
behaving freedesktop environment with good scaffolding in specific areas.

I am not eager to launch children into a standard desktop to prepare
them to be information workers of today. I'd rather we keep the simple,
collaborative, expressive environment even for adults, to become
creative thinkers and playful with technology.

Regards,
Sebastian

--
I+D SomosAzucar.Org