[Sugar-devel] Git Backend Architecture | GSoC'15

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri Mar 20 09:55:09 EDT 2015

Hi,

About this Git as Journal backend project...
I have come to the conclusion that it's a terrible idea.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to recognize git's contribution for
the world.
In fact I even have a small git front project
<http://pe.sugarlabs.org/ir/Git%20para%20Sugar>.

However, as a general datastore, git is terribly innefficient especially
when dealing with larger or binary files. You can read a detailed
account of it's problems in the following article I found really
interesting:

Unorthodocs: Abandon your DVCS and Return to Sanity
<http://bitquabit.com/post/unorthodocs-abandon-your-dvcs-and-return-to-sanity>

It we do insist in adding some sort of version control, then I suggest
we look into VCS extensions for large files, and some way that will
allow the user to actually erase a file.

In the Git world, git-annex does this but it's in my humble opinion
A better option for this would be Mercurial's Largefiles extension.
<http://bitquabit.com/post/unorthodocs-abandon-your-dvcs-and-return-to-sanity/>
Mercurial also has native compatibility with Git, so I tend to think it
could be the best of both world.

The tricky part here of course is the UI so I would love to see some
mockups of what it's expected to look like.

Regards
Sebastian
<http://bitquabit.com/post/unorthodocs-abandon-your-dvcs-and-return-to-sanity/>
El 20/03/15 a las 07:54, Gonzalo Odiard escibió: