[Sugar-devel] Current status of collaboration work
martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:37:20 EST 2015
- Using GSettings is definitely a decent workaround instead of going for
detection, I checked your PR and I will send some comments, but we will
have to push it for as a feature freeze exception / Bug Fix.
- I don't agree we should add it to the toolkit yet, still too early to
set API on stones, but lets make a good use of that Wrapper of yours.
Thanks for making it available.
- Collaboration should be transparent for Activities, and since Tubes is
no longer available in at least one scenario (jabber), we can't really
depending on it anymore.
- As Sam explained, this is not something _we_ control. Telepathy
dropped Tubes years ago. There is no way to "workaround" the fact that
Tubes in gone and we gotta move to something else, but for now we will also
keep Tubes for those who can still use it and at least be able to do the
- Thanks for the feedback, you are right, collaboration is hard to test,
so we can't rush here.
- Telepathy developers knew Sugar was using still it, I even heard they
warned us in a GUADEC conference years ago, I also heard they apologized in
- I am against introducing one deprecated piece of Telepathy code into
Sugar code, simply because we can barely catch up with our own code base
and it would be even worse if we adopt that code.
- Aside from that, Walter and Sam tests show that there are many cases
where we can simply migrate other channels. It will take longer, but is the
right investment IMHO.
- The Tubes issue is just as critical as any other "we can't catch up
with upstream" issue but, this time, we are *trying* not to ignore it.
- Any comments regarding the use of a GSettings entry to re-enable Tubes
support (and leave it disabled by default)?
- Funny picture.
- I agree, lets move forward.
- I hope so too.
On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 11:05 PM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been lurking on these mailing lists for the past few years but
> haven't made any contribution to Sugar in that time. You may recall that I
> wrote a couple of FLOSS manuals for OLPC, and strangely enough that led me
> away from the project, because it convinced me I had a future as an author.
> I've written and published a few books since then, none of which have found
> as big an audience as the two FLOSS manuals did.
> After reading your recent emails, I see that one of my FLOSS manuals is on
> its way to being out of date, and my Sugar Activities are getting there
> too. I'd like to fix that. I don't know how much time I'll have to devote
> to this, but I want to do it.
> I'd like to know more about this Tubes wrapper to start with. Is there
> anything I can read to start learning about it?
> James Simmons
> Sugar-devel mailing list
> Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Sugar-devel