[Sugar-devel] [OUTREACH] [DESIGN] Sugar for smartphones

Ryan Cunningham rvskmbrly3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 18:23:10 EST 2014

I've updated the virtual keyboard layouts for English. Here's the new link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0xghowe0965swt/Photo%20Feb%2024%2C%203%2020%2005%20PM.jpg

This update adds a missing Backspace key for the "additional symbols" keypad, and adds descriptions for all non-alphanumeric symbols that do not have descriptions.

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 2:58 PM, Ryan Cunningham <rvskmbrly3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You could go Ubuntu's way and use Qt with QML:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QML
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)
>
> Other than that, Sugar for tablets (as you proposed) can use the existing Sugar interface, including swiping from the center to a corner or edge to access the Frame; but one should also be able to touch that corner or edge directly and see the Frame.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Feb 24, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> Sugar on a phone could be cool! The implementation would prove tough since android != gnome. Also many activities would need to have their ui redesigned so they fit on a phone.
>>
>> One more thing, are phones used a lot in edu? Down in Australia we have a lot of tabs in schools, but not phones :( Maybe you could change that!
>>
>> Sam
>>
>>> On Feb 25, 2014 5:50 AM, "Ryan Cunningham" <rvskmbrly3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To all members:
>>>
>>> I would like to suggest a version of Sugar that can be used in a smartphone; such usage will help spread your user base.
>>>
>>> This system should be called "Sugar on a Phone" (translators: "Sugar" should not be translated); it should be based on Android 4.4 "KitKat" (code name based on a trademark of Mars, Inc., with no infringement intended; this was the latest stable version of Android for smartphones as of the time of writing).
>>>
>>> The following control panels should exist:
>>>
>>> 'About Me'
>>> 'About My Phone'
>>> 'Background'
>>> 'Date and Time'