[Sugar-devel] Python modules (Re: Introducing SimpleActivity / Introduciendo SimpleActivity

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 09:23:49 EST 2013

On 22 November 2013 15:09, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> We need think about the options.
>
> I feel something wrong when think about multiple copies of the same
>  code/library/data, but is true in some spaces the world is going in that
> direction.

Heh I feel something wrong too, sometimes... but maybe we are just getting
old :P

> Also is true we already have a lot of code duplicated in the activities,
> and without a good mechanism to get/update/sync.

Yeah, so I think it would be good to develop a mechanism to improve that
situation and to encourage activity authors to write code that can be
reused in multiple activities. (well, developing one would be some work but
I hope we can mostly reuse pypi).

If it turns out to be a good approach, it will probably get extended to
stuff nearer to the core naturally, without even making an explicit
decision about it.

One reason I like the idea is that I feel toolkit could be sooooo much
better. But it's difficult to improve it if, as soon as your API goes
public, in practice you can't change or drop it anymore.

In a way, I hope the activity developers community will write the next
generation toolkit for us :)