[Sugar-devel] 90% working patches (was Re: 0.100 release schedule)

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Wed Mar 27 14:01:51 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 27 March 2013 17:39, Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> > Just one request ::
> > =============
> >
> > please include the patch ASAP if it works 90% of the time (although it is
> > working 100% for me at this point :P ).
> >
> > If it is thought that some minor-change/bug-fix is needed, it can be done
> > "in" the mainline. That would save a lot of maintenance costs in
> maintaining
> > a singular, big patch.
>
> Hi Ajay,
>
> I don't know the specific history of this patch but, as a rule,
> patches should be pushed to mainline when they are fully working, or
> at least they are thought to be. If the maintainers point out issues,
> they should be solved before committing. Often the remainning 10% is
> the one which takes more time to achieve.

Yes, I understand that :)

"My" 10% intended any minor UI-tweaks (string change, text-positioning,
etc), that are often not workflow-critical, and very easy to fix.
Obviously, anything that breaks any use-case is a reason enough to reject
the patch straightaway (even if that is 1% of the case).

> It's in the maintainers right to pretend they fully like your
> contribution before they take responsibility for it. They are going to
> take over a lot of the maintenance costs you are complainig about
> after all :)
>
> If the patch is too big, it's often possible to split it up so that
> parts of it can be landed earlier.

Hmm .. it is big .. but I don't really know if any functionality should be
broken into several patches, especially if the entire patch is necessary to
make the feature work at all.

Anyways, decide upon yourself when I float the patch this weekend :)

Ajay Garg
Dextrose Developer
Activity Central: http://activitycentral.com