[Sugar-devel] 90% working patches (was Re: 0.100 release schedule)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 13:51:46 EDT 2013

On 27 March 2013 17:39, Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> Just one request ::
> =============
>
> please include the patch ASAP if it works 90% of the time (although it is
> working 100% for me at this point :P ).
>
> If it is thought that some minor-change/bug-fix is needed, it can be done
> "in" the mainline. That would save a lot of maintenance costs in maintaining
> a singular, big patch.

Hi Ajay,

I don't know the specific history of this patch but, as a rule,
patches should be pushed to mainline when they are fully working, or
at least they are thought to be. If the maintainers point out issues,
they should be solved before committing. Often the remainning 10% is
the one which takes more time to achieve.

It's in the maintainers right to pretend they fully like your
contribution before they take responsibility for it. They are going to
take over a lot of the maintenance costs you are complainig about
after all :)

If the patch is too big, it's often possible to split it up so that
parts of it can be landed earlier.