[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Oopsy-1

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:36:09 EST 2013

As per Tony's suggestion, I had been discussing with Kartik about
using an alert to explain that gcc is needed rather than including it
in the bundle. Especially considering multiple arch., it would make
the bundle too large.

I don't know what the general solution is,  but in the case of
learning C, I don't think it is so onerous to expect some knowledge of
Terminal.

-walter

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM,  <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks James
>
> If I understand,
>
> A developer makes a version of gcc that can run from ~/Activities/oopsy.activity , this is included in oopsy.xo bundle(maybe 2 versions x86 and ARM), at install time (optionally oopsy checks for the presence of gcc and if not present then) oopsy installs gcc at ~/Activities/oopsy.activity .
>
> There is a 30MB bloat of oopsy.xo bundle and a possible 30MB bloat of the installed Activity.
>
> Right?
> Tony

>> > Thanks James, good news if I understand. gcc would be recompiled?
>> > Still installed with yum? Can simple instructions be written that
>> > beginners could follow?
>>
>> Yes, gcc would be compiled by the person making a Sugar activity.
>>
>> Yes, yum would be needed by the person making a Sugar activity, but
>> not the person installing the activity.
>>
>> Yes, instructions can always be simplified so that beginners could
>> follow, but the investment in such work might not be warranted.  For
>> an activity developer, the instructions can be scripted in the
>> setup.py file.
>>
>> An activity that requires root should be clearly marked so that people
>> without root won't waste their time downloading it.
>>
>> --
>> James Cameron
>> http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Walter Bender