[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 12:52:23 EDT 2013

On 17 April 2013 17:39, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 April 2013 16:26, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>  So the real benefit of the Chrome thing is the system integration? Is
>> that something really needed for Sugar? It would be necessary if we
>> were to port *all* Sugar activities to javascript, but I am not sure
>> if that is our goal. There are certainly a lot of things that can be
>> done without such system access.
>>

> My personal *long* term goal is to port the whole thing to javascript.
> That probably explains the directions my research is taking.

Coming back to this point...

I think supporting an existing webapps framework (hopefully a standard at
some point) with it's system API, manifest, permissions etc, is important
also if the goal is just to get some Sugar activities running on other
platforms.

For example, even *if* Android doesn't support installing web applications
right now, it most likely will in the future.

Without web applications, you would need to use some kind of native wrapper
implementing the Sugar javascript API.