[Sugar-devel] Chromium integration inside the sugar shell (was Re: Kicking off HTML5 activities work)

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Apr 17 13:40:09 EDT 2013

> Coming back to this point...
>
> I think supporting an existing webapps framework (hopefully a standard at
> some point) with it's system API, manifest, permissions etc, is important
> also if the goal is just to get some Sugar activities running on other
> platforms.
>
> For example, even *if* Android doesn't support installing web applications
> right now, it most likely will in the future.
>
> Without web applications, you would need to use some kind of native
> wrapper implementing the Sugar javascript API.

I agree support webapps is a good idea in the long term,
but right now, we have web apps for chrome, for firefox, (even for Windows
8!),
and a few more for mobile environments like Tizen and similar.

Probably the situation will be different in one or two years, consolidation
is needed.

I don't know if something like PhoneGap help us, if not, may be is better
go in the first stage
for a javascript api implementing our UI, and a minimal access to the
Journal,
with a async api. Now we can implement it with json messages and a python
server.
The python server run in the same WebActivity class than the webkit viewer.

I am using webkit and a python process in JournalShare, and can usethe
journal in this way.
(Anyway the code is not ready)

Gonzalo