[Sugar-devel] Priorities for testing

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Sat Sep 25 06:39:46 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Tabitha Roder's message of Sat Sep 25 10:49:42 +0200 2010:

> > In Auckland we did test Backup and Restore today.  We post our testing
> summaries to two mailing lists: testing at lists.laptop.org,
> olpc-nz at lists.laptop.org

Great, thanks!

> Basically they worked, though it was a bit confusing that you don't open
> restore and then choose the file on the USB.

OK, will add this to my to-do list. No idea when I'll get around to
implementing this as I expect similar problems as with interfacing with
sugar-datastore across all of 0.82-0.90 which took me several days
full-time to get working.

> We couldn't use another XOs backup file (which is good, right?).

Exactly the opposite of good, actually. What was the problem? Do you
have a copy of the log file and backup bundle?

> Some instructions for the user might be helpful

Yeah, that's already on my to-do list, though everyone is welcome to
help out on this one. There are also quite a few quirks in Sugar 0.82
that users should know about (resp. have a step-by-step instruction to
follow so they won't hit these quirks).

> Also, there was no obvious notification that the backup file creation was completed.

This is especially true on the old OLPC builds (with Sugar 0.82) as the
GTK version shipped with them contains a bug that causes the labelling
of the progress bar to get overwritten by the bar. :(
A subtle hint is that the Backup button is active again, but I should
add a more obvious indication.

From your more detailed post on testing@:

> Tried to click on the file on the usb that says it is the journal backup for
> this laptop - it seems to open the restore activity but hard to tell as not
> labelled as such in the frame

Can you elaborate on this, please? I just tried on both Sugar 0.90 and
0.82 and it's labelled clearly in the Frame each time: "Journal backup
of ..." on 0.82 and "Restore" + "Journal backup of ..." on 0.90.
Did you see something else or did you expect some additional information
in the Frame? If the former, the logs (both shell*.log and
org.sugarlabs.Restore*.log) would be useful.

> Ran the restore and it seems to work but it on both XOs we
> get two copies of the .xmj journal backup file in the Journal.

Yes, that's a limitation of Sugar [1]. If you resume anything from
outside the Journal (e.g. a USB stick) it gets copied to the Journal
first. There's no way for an activity to opt-out from this.
In the case of Restore that's especially bad because you need to have
enough free space for all of the entries AND the backup bundle.
We might be able to get around this by accessing the external medium
directly like we do in Backup, but it requires a lot of work as we need
UI to choose the file.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/496
--