[Sugar-devel] What should system mood really mean? (forked from #2141 UNSP: Memory and CPU status indicator for the frame.)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:05:53 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 10:53 AM, Anish Mangal wrote:
>> How about extending the meaning of 'system mood' to more than just the
>> memory and cpu usage metrics.
>
> I think this is a great idea, and a good learning opportunity if we expose
> the units of measurement (watts, megabytes, etc.)
>
>> + I'm almost out of resources (cpu, memory).
>> + If I have a battery, its almost empty.
>> + If I have wireless connectivity, I have very low signal strength.
>> + I'm almost out of physical storage space.
>
> + CPU near temperature limit (available through ACPI)
> + Hard drive showing signs of impending failure (available through
> SMART/HAL/udisks etc.)
>
> I don't think "out of CPU" makes a lot of sense, but we can deal with that
> later.
>
> --Ben

We had talked about making the XO figure in the center of the Home
View behave somewhat like a Tamagotchi, in response to a variety of
system and user states... Might be more fun and less clutter than
filling up the device section of the Frame.

We also talked about using the Measure program to plot the wide
variety of data available on the machine: everything from memory usage
to CPU temperature. In retrospect, I prefer this approach as it
engages the learner more directly with the data.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs