[Sugar-devel] What should system mood really mean?

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Wed Sep 15 12:24:31 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Anish Mangal's message of Wed Sep 15 16:53:29 +0200 2010:

> How about extending the meaning of 'system mood' to more than just the
> memory and cpu usage metrics.

Please be careful about mixing in even more parameters.

> + If I have a battery, its almost empty.
> + If I have wireless connectivity, I have very low signal strength.

We already have Frame devices for these.

> + I'm almost out of physical storage space.

Interesting suggestion, but we need to be careful not to weigh it in
too much, otherwise it might always be showing a sad face on the XO-1.
The parameters also need to be chosen carefully. Maybe five times the
free space alert threshold for the "normal" face and two times for
the "sad" face?

Another way to tackle this is adding a more subtle free space
notification (again 2x threshold) prior to the free space alert.

I could also envision an activity form of this, maybe even saving
history. You could watch your storage space fill over time and see
how your battery degrades with each charge/discharge cycle.

The real question is: What's going to be most useful to the majority
of users?

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/