[Sugar-devel] internationalization: homonym handling in genpot?

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Fri Sep 10 11:36:38 EDT 2010

(maybe there is genpot list where this message is more apropos?  Sorry,
genpot is opaque to me.)

My activity has two identical-in-english strings (homonyms) which need
translating, but have two different meanings depending on context in an
activity.
How should I flag genpot that these are two different strings which might
require different translations?

#TRANS: bow and arrow
activeDisplay = _("Bow")

#TRANS: the front of a ship
istrDisplay = _("Bow")

Currently python setup.py genpot produces this output, making it impossible
for the translator to handle both meanings differently:

#. TRANS: bow and arrow
#. TRANS: the front of a ship
#: constants.py:35
#: constants.py:38