[Sugar-devel] coping with the traffic in sugar-devel

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Oct 5 07:05:33 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 11:19 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> What about marking in some way those incoming emails that belong to a
> thread that has included the word 'bernie'?

That's really hard... Procmail, my email sorting software, is stateless.

> There's also the option of just going through the subjects, read the
> threads that look interesting then marking all of them as read when
> finished.

That's better, but it adds delay: I open my mailing list folders to
check for new mail only once in a while, when I'm done with everything
else.

> I'm starting a new thread about this because I often hear from people
> who have missed important developments because cannot cope with the
> traffic.
>
> I'm also on way more lists that I can read, but with a bit of
> automatic labelling and organization I think I manage to miss little
> of the relevant info.
>
> Any other tips?

Cc'ing people conservatively is standard practice on many high-traffic
lists. Today the old arguments of wasted bandwidth are just ridiculous.

Occasionally someone complains for receiving dupes, but all modern MUAs
provide ways to suppress them. Sascha elegantly solved the issue by
setting the "Mail-followup-to" header to exclude himself from replies
(if the remote MUA supports it).