[Sugar-devel] string changes for 0.84.1

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:06:17 EDT 2009

CC += localization list

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:10, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

>>> Yeah, string changes sounds out of question for 0.84.1 - however did you
>>> have anything specific in mind - that would not work at all without a string
>>> change?
>>
>> There are some tickets about file transfer that would need UI changes,
>> but we can probably do without new strings, not sure.
>
> After giving a deeper look at the schedules in Fedora and Ubuntu,
> looks like we can land fixes that imply string changes, as their
> freezes don't apply to Sugar.
>
> For Ubuntu, it was clarified some minutes ago:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserInterfaceFreeze?action=info
>
> For Fedora, the string freeze only applies to software for which
> Fedora is upstream:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/StringFreezePolicy
>
> So maybe we should take this chance and add some strings for 0.84.1?
>
> Regards,

To be honest, I'm a bit apprehensive about lifting the string freeze,
since it may cause a large number of strings to be pushed into the
stable branch all of a sudden (I know that everyone has his/her
favourite string which has not got in due to string freeze ;-), and as
soon as the freeze is lifted I expect a deluge of new strings coming
in).
Normally most projects (GNOME, etc) do not lift the string freeze for
minor releases, and I think that the translators are expecting that
the string freeze will _not_ to be lifted for the 0.84 release.
Considering the above two facts, I would prefer the status quo to
remain - in other words, if you want a new string to go in, use the
normal process you follow for a string freeze break approval.

Cheers,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta