[Sugar-devel] Gsoc proposal: Speech Synthesis

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu Jun 11 18:37:47 EDT 2009

Chirag,

I still haven't run your code, but I did take a good look at it.  I
expected it to look quite a bit like the code I and Aleksey Lim came up
with for Read Etexts.  I was surprised to find that it didn't, but parts
of it did look familiar to me because it looks like you're trying an
approach that I tried and was forced to give up on.  What it looks like
is you're sending the words to espeak one at a time, after highlighting
them in the text viewer.  If that's what you're doing then you're
launching espeak for each and every word, creating a .WAV file for that
word, and then using aplay to play the word.  On a sufficiently powerful
machine that works but sounds awful.  On an XO it doesn't work at all.

If this is what you are doing then have a look at the code for Read
Etexts.  In that code I make a version of the text that has markup to
indicate the beginning of each word.  Originally speech-dispatcher used
that markup to do callbacks into my code, telling it which word to
highlight.  Aleksey Lim wrote a gstreamer plugin for espeak that
replaced speech-dispatcher but did the same thing.  His plugin works
better and requires no configuration.

I didn't come up with this myself; someone from the speech-dispatcher
mailing list suggested it.  It isn't perfect, but I'm pretty sure it
works better than what you are attempting.

James Simmons