[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Jul 14 05:23:46 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:54:43AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

[Sugar 0.84 in squeeze]
> Did you actually try it?
No, but I didn't try any other distro packages either.

> My experiences with using the Sugar packages in unstable is not good.
>
> Using sugar-emulator, initial login fails.
> It is probably a gconf problem.  Possibly only occurs when running a
> non-GNOME environment as I do.
OK, can't help much in that case (but maybe someone else can) since
distro installs usually rely on Orbit for GConf, not DBus. It's a pity
that GConf-DBus seems to be unmaintained...
  From what I know about the Orbit-based GConf it should start the daemon
automatically, so no explicit startup sequence required. Do the logs in
~/.sugar/default/logs show anything unusual?
You could also try running "gconftool-2 -R /" to check whether there's a
more general gconf breakage.

> This problem have existed for a while now - but noone seems to have
> experienced it beyond me (no bugreports or questions about it on
> mailinglists), which make me suspect that noone use Sugar on Debian
> except me.
That is highly likely as 0.82 was only the bare minimum in Debian and
quite buggy in general (in my experience). I hope that some users will
switch from sugar-jhbuild (which is targeted to developers, not users)
to Debian packages now that 0.84 is available.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/