[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian (was: Re: Sugar on Beagle board.)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 14 06:49:09 EDT 2009

Hi Samy,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:15:22AM +0200, s.boutayeb at free.fr wrote:
>I have a few debian machines (unstable and testing) available for
>testing, in both the i386 and mipsel (lemote box + netbook)
>architectures.
>
>My past experiencess with the installation of sugar packages with
>apt-get is that the sugar environment is working, even if there are few
>activities (chat, pippy and calculate.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Was this using 0.82 or 0.84?

>The lack of a terminal from within the sugar UI makes (at least for me)
>difficult to add additional xo-packages.

I believe the "official" way of adding .xo activities is through the
Sugar web browser called Browse, which is also available (and known to
work for 0.82 - might be broken currently for 0.84).

Did you try that?

>The alternative with sugar-jhbuild is (at least for me) not really
>usable in Debian due to failed dependencies.

I won't comment on that, as that is a completely different world than my
field of packaged software.

>Actually, the best user experience I had is running "sugar-emulator" in
>a Mandrake machine, after having installed no more than a meta-package
>(task-sugar, courtesy of Aleksey Lim).

great for you and for everyone else flexible in their choice of
distribution. :-)

>Could you tell us a debian repository with the latest developments
>(both binary and source), since I would like to test it all on my mips
>machines.

Latest Sugar packaging development for Debian is in Debian unstable.

The URL that Sascha Silbe provided earlier links to all packages part of
Sugar for Debian:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

I also maintain repositories at debian.jones.dk but nothing there is
currently newer than officially included in Debian unstable (and, I
believe, readily available for both mips and mipsel).

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

- --