[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 14 06:32:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:23:46AM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:54:43AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>[Sugar 0.84 in squeeze]
>>Did you actually try it?
>No, but I didn't try any other distro packages either.
>
>>My experiences with using the Sugar packages in unstable is not
>>good.
>>
>>Using sugar-emulator, initial login fails.
>>It is probably a gconf problem.  Possibly only occurs when running
>>a non-GNOME environment as I do.
>OK, can't help much in that case (but maybe someone else can) since
>distro installs usually rely on Orbit for GConf, not DBus. It's a
>pity that GConf-DBus seems to be unmaintained...

Do you mean to say that GConf-DBus is currently used with non-packaged
Sugar, or just that it would be a cool idea to do so in the future?

> From what I know about the Orbit-based GConf it should start the
>daemon automatically, so no explicit startup sequence required. Do
>the logs in ~/.sugar/default/logs show anything unusual?

shell.log contains a single entry saying (in danish, my language) that
/home/jonas/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub does not exist.

Xephyr just comes up with a black screen, and after the usual pile of
warnings prints a couple of empty lines and then a segfault message
(again in danish: Lagersegmentfejl).

It is not Xephyr segfaulting, but something else - Xephyr stays open
with a black screen.

Uncommenting all in ~/.sugar/debug there is still only that single line
in shell.log but a coredump is provided, coming (according to "file
core") from /usr/bin/sugar-session.

How to investigate further?

>You could also try running "gconftool-2 -R /" to check whether
>there's a more general gconf breakage.

Anything in specific that I should look for with that command?

Output includes the following 8 Sugar-related entries:

   /desktop/sugar:
    backup_url =
    show_logout = true
    /desktop/sugar/user:
     nick = Jonas
     color = #BCCDFF,#FF2B34
    /desktop/sugar/collaboration:
     jabber_server =
     publish_gadget = true
    /desktop/sugar/power:
     extreme = false
     automatic = false
    /desktop/sugar/date:
     timezone = UTC
    /desktop/sugar/sound:
     mute = false
     volume = 81
    /desktop/sugar/frame:
     edge_delay = 1000
     corner_delay = 0
    /desktop/sugar/desktop:
     favorites_mode = false
     favorites_layout = ring-layout

I assume those entries are there even when I remove ~/sugar to provoke a
reinit of Sugar - which is what fails.

>>This problem have existed for a while now - but noone seems to have
>>experienced it beyond me (no bugreports or questions about it on
>>mailinglists), which make me suspect that noone use Sugar on Debian
>>except me.
>That is highly likely as 0.82 was only the bare minimum in Debian and
>quite buggy in general (in my experience).

Providing "the bare minimum" ideally should not be a problem, as
additional activities can be installed from other sources.  Real problem
here is that independently downloaded activities are both system- and
architechture-dependent (not even tied to a fixed target like LSB) and
.xo packaging format do not hint about environment(s) supported.

That said, The Debian package collection is not a complete Glucose
(libraries for Read and Write are missing).

>I hope that some users will switch from sugar-jhbuild (which is
>targeted to developers, not users) to Debian packages now that 0.84 is
>available.

Your argument above was that 0.82 in Debian was minimal - so is 0.84.

I hope that some _developers_ will help package Sugar for Debian.

  - Jonas

- --