[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [Marketing] netbook as terminology

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:19:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Bastien <bastienguerry at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When we speak of netbooks, we can highlight Sugar's intrinsic ability to
> > network and collaborate without the Internet; so, not Internet-book, but
> > network-book!
> >
> > XO-1s do this by default, we should push this capability into any Wi-Fi
> enabled
> > device running Sugar.
>
> Yes.  In the meantime, I would *love* to see the XS server running, and
> a tutorial on how to use Sugar with non-XO computers connected thru a XS
> server...  IMHO it's a promise that OLPC/Sugar cannot afford to bypass.

This is already working. For example, if you use Sugar on a Stick you are
using an XS that can work with XO and non-XO computers today. This is 0.5.2
XS installed from the ISO and regularly updated via yum. If you take any
installation of Sugar and set the collaboration server to
jabber.sugarlabs.org it should work. No special configuration is needed to
support Sugar on non-XO computers that I am aware of.

Dave

> For example, there are many schools in France where they use an
> Ubuntu-based distribution (AbulEdu) as a server and let the children
> computers interact through this server.  When I talk to them about
> Sugar, they immediately ask about the server.
>
> --
>  Bastien

Dave Bauer
dave at solutiongrove.com