[Sugar-devel] RFH - Journal corruption reports fom 8.2.1 users in Uy

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 20 13:44:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 18:56, Martin Langhoff<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On olpc-sur we're seeing reports of "my journal contents disappeared
> after reboot". (Thread starts at
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2009-August/004177.html )
>
> This reminds me a lot of the issues we saw earlier in development of
> what became 8.2.x -- if for any reason Sugar doesn't like the Journal
> contents or indexes, it moves the 'datastore' directory aside, and
> starts anew.
>
> That's my hunch, and I am hoping to hear confirmation from the users
> reporting the problem.
>
> Two pleas for help
>
>  - A sugar activity that does some data-recovery and freeing up the space.
>
> The good news is that we have a json file with the metadata for each
> Journal entry, so we can either load it back into the Journal (mstone
> had published a cli script that exports/imports to the Journal?) or
> create Journal Entry Bundles and save them to a USB stick.
>
> I suspect the JEB path might help users more -- if the Journal is
> choking on some specific metadata, a script that reloads it all in one
> go will make it choke again. Having files as JEBs allows step-by-step
> attempts.

How do you envision the UI of the tool that will recover the JEBs?

There's a good chance that the xapian index got corrupted because the
machine lost power while the index on disk was on an inconsistent
state. If that's the case, just rebuilding the whole index should work
fine.

Would be nice to have more details about the failure so we can both
fix it and propose the best tool for the job. Maybe a ceibal jam
volunteer with some linux knowledge would like to work with us on
this?

Regards,

Tomeu

>  - Diagnosis.
>
> If it's something we can pin down, it'll be great to have a fix! This
> will surely involve getting in touch with teachers on olpc-sur.
>
> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions
>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Farning