[Sugar-devel] RFH - Journal corruption reports fom 8.2.1 users in Uy

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 17:58:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> How do you envision the UI of the tool that will recover the JEBs?

We don't need many words there :-) all we need is

 - A listing of Journals available (by date - the numbers after
'datastore' are epoch seconds IIRC) - if there's only one, skip this
stage...

 - A view that looks a bit like the Journal view... we could show an
'action' that is 'inject into journal' (icon of the activity, arrow,
journal icon?).

> There's a good chance that the xapian index got corrupted because the
> machine lost power while the index on disk was on an inconsistent
> state. If that's the case, just rebuilding the whole index should work
> fine.

In that case, another option is to not have a UI, and just "merge" all
the datastores present, in one go, no more questions asked. As part of
it, files are moved (instead of cp'd).

Not sure how to make the above atomic & safe.

> Would be nice to have more details about the failure so we can both
> fix it and propose the best tool for the job. Maybe a ceibal jam
> volunteer with some linux knowledge would like to work with us on
> this?

Many are reading olpc-sur -- I hope someone might help.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions