[Sugar-devel] RFH - Journal corruption reports fom 8.2.1 users in Uy

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 12:56:17 EDT 2009

On olpc-sur we're seeing reports of "my journal contents disappeared
after reboot". (Thread starts at
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2009-August/004177.html )

This reminds me a lot of the issues we saw earlier in development of
what became 8.2.x -- if for any reason Sugar doesn't like the Journal
contents or indexes, it moves the 'datastore' directory aside, and
starts anew.

That's my hunch, and I am hoping to hear confirmation from the users
reporting the problem.

Two pleas for help

 - A sugar activity that does some data-recovery and freeing up the space.

The good news is that we have a json file with the metadata for each
Journal entry, so we can either load it back into the Journal (mstone
had published a cli script that exports/imports to the Journal?) or
create Journal Entry Bundles and save them to a USB stick.

I suspect the JEB path might help users more -- if the Journal is
choking on some specific metadata, a script that reloads it all in one
go will make it choke again. Having files as JEBs allows step-by-step
attempts.

 - Diagnosis.

If it's something we can pin down, it'll be great to have a fix! This
will surely involve getting in touch with teachers on olpc-sur.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions