[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:29:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Brian Jordan wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:25 PM, "Benjamin M. Schwartz"
>> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed.  The #1 thing to do, IMHO, is to get rid of the "yum install"
>>> requirement.  In the short term, the only way to do that is to bundle
>>> gtk-vnc and gtk-vnc-python into the .xo, which is fine... I'm just not
>>> quite sure how to do it.
>>
>> If someone does know how to do this sort of thing, a quick how-to
>> writeup would be immensely useful!
>
> I've previously started with the Fedora 9 RPMs, used cpio to extract them
> inside the bundle, and then done a whole lot of path-munging to wire
> things up. I'm a little bit hesitant to do that now, though, as I worry
> that it may introduce library version dependencies that render the
> resulting bundle totally unportable.  Another thing I may try is building
> static binaries directly from upstream source tarballs.  Anyway, I'll try
> to document the result.

I did a similar thing here:
http://dev.laptop.org/git/activities/model/tree/packaging/activity/model_startup.sh?id=0.5.1
basically stick the shared libraries in the activity bundle and hack
up LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PYTHONPATH

I documented this a year ago or so at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#Bundling_native_libraries

yours,