[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 12 12:59:45 EDT 2009

Brian Jordan wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:25 PM, "Benjamin M. Schwartz"
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> Indeed.  The #1 thing to do, IMHO, is to get rid of the "yum install"
>> requirement.  In the short term, the only way to do that is to bundle
>> gtk-vnc and gtk-vnc-python into the .xo, which is fine... I'm just not
>> quite sure how to do it.
>
> If someone does know how to do this sort of thing, a quick how-to
> writeup would be immensely useful!

I've previously started with the Fedora 9 RPMs, used cpio to extract them
inside the bundle, and then done a whole lot of path-munging to wire
things up. I'm a little bit hesitant to do that now, though, as I worry
that it may introduce library version dependencies that render the
resulting bundle totally unportable.  Another thing I may try is building
static binaries directly from upstream source tarballs.  Anyway, I'll try
to document the result.