[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:40:50 EDT 2009

>> Indeed.  The #1 thing to do, IMHO, is to get rid of the "yum install"
>> requirement.  In the short term, the only way to do that is to bundle
>> gtk-vnc and gtk-vnc-python into the .xo, which is fine... I'm just not
>> quite sure how to do it.
>
> If someone does know how to do this sort of thing, a quick how-to
> writeup would be immensely useful!

Please DON'T do this. There is absolutely NO guarantee that this will
work between Fedora versions, it fact its known to break, just look at
a recent rawhide report and see the breakage for pippy. Its a complete
hack and a complete mess and it will guarantee that things will break
and the activity will then only be supported on the sugar release that
it was based upon rather than be supportable across multiple sugar
releases because the underlying Fedora libraries that the included
binaries link against will have changed. If you have something that
has a dependency you'd be much better to package it up as an rpm where
you can do proper rpm requires which means it can pull in any required
dependencies. I will quite happily assist in rpm creation and support.

Peter