[sugar] GSoC 2008- Importance of Typing Tutor

Prakhar Agarwal prakhar.jiit
Fri Mar 21 16:14:49 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone!
I'm an undergraduate student from India. Recently, I conducted an online
survey and discussed with many developers and XO users at #olpc and #sugar
channels about the requirement of a Typing Tutor. I believe that typing
tutor is one of the most essential and crucial applications required in XO.
This software should be developed at the earliest. OLPC's aim to provide the
children with opportunities to explore and experiment is not fulfilled by
only providing the required hardware. We need to equip them with the
knowledge of using the machine for efficient learning which in my honest
opinion, is the *Very First* building block of a child's future through
OLPC. This role can be easily and efficiently played by a typing tutor
utility. It will help children learn typing in a fun filled and effortless
manner and most importantly they will get familiar with the interface of XO
machine. I have developed a typing tutor called "TypeTut" and a text editor
named "TextPRO" which won plaudits from industrialists. Both were developed
at university level and were regarded as best designed applications. I have
already created a sample design for the application. So, I'm ready to
contribute to the motive of OLPC. Looking forward to a healthy collaboration
with OLPC.

Contacts: prakhar.jiit at gmail.com (GTalk), Prakhar (IRC)

Prakhar Agarwal
Technical Head - Library R&D Team