[Sugar-devel] Notifications (Ubuntu initiative)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:17:42 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Shuttleworth announced some work on notifications on Ubuntu:
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253 - loads of comments about
> controversial aspects.

after an initial panic (wtf!?, un-actionable and ephemeral?) I think I
can see what the Ubuntu folks are trying to do. Risky, but I think it
may work.

Keen on trying it for a while when it comes out.  Kudos on them for
daring paint a bikeshed in a new colour.

(Intellectually, my thinking is that pushing something on a top-level
window means it's very important, enough to distract the user from
*doing whatever they want to do*. But making it truly ephemeral makes
meants it is unimportant. Important enough to interrupt me,
unimportant enoughto be discarded immediately...? - but I've often
ended up loving UIs that I didn't agree with intellectually so...)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions