[Sugar-devel] Hilaire Fernandes learning system

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 18:00:48 EST 2008

from walter's sugar digest:
6. Hilaire Fernandes, who brought us DrGeo, has <a
href="http://www.istoa.net">a new project</a> underway:

:I am working on a learning system written in Smalltalk. The contents
is only in French for now, and only cover multiplication learning, but
I am planing for more in various subjects. Underneath the curriculum
is in a graph to help situating the learning progression of the
learner.

I've done an english translation of the main page using google translate -
I'm not certain but it could be Hilaire's intention to eventually develop a
computer mentoring system - identified by alan kay as the main thing missing
from his dynabook vision (40th anniversary presentation)

if anyone improves the translation please send me a copy
activité (étayage) = activity (shoring) ???

ABOUT

iSTOA.net is a research project to build a platform for interactive teaching
and monitoring the Internet. It is free and cross-licensed MIT.

Some aspects of iStoa.net:

* Interactive exercises for students is important (see this article on the
artifacts).
* Modeling of the field of learning
* The construction of a knowledge model of learning as part of its
activities with the software
* A remediation when the student is in trouble

We are building a community around this project, to help us build it, join
us! You can also reach OFSET (Organization for Free Software in Education
and Teaching), which supports the project on its list of discussion.

NEW IN VERSION 8.12-ALPHA1

Intermediate version. Includes editor notional network, database, web
console, the student, the application of test exercises:

* Resolution bug # 6936, # 6937, # 6973, # 6939 List of bugs
* Version based Pharo # 10192: font rendering plugin with FreeType,
verifications and modifications Pharo for compatibility with the latest
stable version 41.1 of Magma.
* Refactoring code. Correction on some exercises.

The console's web master and the students with recording traces are present