[Sugar-devel] Record and Journal problem

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Dec 16 05:26:14 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:04, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Build 767
> Sugar 0.82.1
> Firmware Q2E18
>
> control panel > software updates
> "Your software is up-to-date"
>
> When I open Record there is a message there, "Your Journal is full" and I
> can't take a photo - there is a cross on the Button, tried clicking the
> button anyway and nothing happened
>
> at any rate I haven't been saving much at all, mainly just looking at
> activities and playing around learning linux
>
> df -h
> 118M free, 89% Use
>
> i went here
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_Activity
>
> and then follow the path to /home/olpc/.sugar/default/datastore/store
>
> and deleted many files in there with rm *
> (the *.metadata files are protected and I kept them)
>
> I also deleted many files out of the preview subfolder
> I didn't touch the index subfolder
>
> then rebooted
>
> Nothing appeared to change!
> Still had some old entries in the journal, some 4 weeks old (I was expecting
> that it would now be clear)

By manually deleting some files in the datastore dir, you have left it
in an inconsistent state. Queries are executed against the index and
the presence of the data file in itself doesn't affect what you see in
the list view.

> Still had the same result from df -h as above (I think, at any rate I have
> space available)

Perhaps the files you deleted weren't that big? 'du -s datastore/* |
sort -n | tail' may be helpful here.

> When I open Record there is still a message there, "Your Journal is full"
> and I can't take a photo
>
> seems to me that managing the journal is slow through the Sugar GUI, culling
> items one by one, would like to see a process to delete multiple items
> quickly

Yes, this is planned, though don't know when will be finally done.

> pity about this -- from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_Activity -- about
> the files being heavily hashed

Also plan to improve this, but I'm not sure if will be doable for the
next release, though scripts for inspecting the contents of the
datastore could be done very easily with some knowledge of python.
I'll be happy to give pointers if someone wants to spend some time on
this.

> Files can be copied to and from the Journal's datastore using the Terminal
> Activity. However, filenames are heavily hashed, meaning "myfile.bzip" might
> show up as 2637-4737-13323-dl77nf, or some such gibberish. Here's how to
> figure it out.
>
> Note how large the file is (or what time it is.)
> Download it. (Click on the link while you're in Browse.)
> Open Terminal Activity.
> At the prompt, type cd .sugar/default/datastore/store/ to get into your
> datastore directory.
> Then type ls -la and look for the file with the size and timestamp you noted
> before.
> Do whatever you want with your file (rename, move, whatever...)

Check out the copy-from-journal command, should make this much easier.

Regards,

Tomeu