[Sugar-devel] Record and Journal problem

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Sun Dec 14 09:39:39 EST 2008

Discussion about preventing recordings when the journal is "near full" can
be read here:
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4983

Related ticket:
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5169

I am not sure if there is a suggested Sugar api call nowadays to determine
if there is "enough space".   It would be great if there was.  We want to be
sure to to pay attention to JG's warning (from #4983):

Please, have oggenc fail significantly *before* filling flash. Similarly for
the camera app itself. The system has to work harder and harder on GC as the
free space drops.

You can adjust the threshold in Record by changing the variable
keepFreeKbOnXo in constants.py

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Build 767
> Sugar 0.82.1
> Firmware Q2E18
>
> control panel > software updates
> "Your software is up-to-date"
>
> When I open Record there is a message there, "Your Journal is full" and I
can't take a photo - there is a cross on the Button, tried clicking the
button anyway and nothing happened

> at any rate I haven't been saving much at all, mainly just looking at
activities and playing around learning linux

> df -h
> 118M free, 89% Use
>
> i went here
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_Activity
>
> and then follow the path to /home/olpc/.sugar/default/datastore/store
>
> and deleted many files in there with rm *
> (the *.metadata files are protected and I kept them)
>
> I also deleted many files out of the preview subfolder
> I didn't touch the index subfolder
>
> then rebooted
>
> Nothing appeared to change!
> Still had some old entries in the journal, some 4 weeks old (I was
expecting that it would now be clear)
> Still had the same result from df -h as above (I think, at any rate I have
space available)

> When I open Record there is still a message there, "Your Journal is full"
and I can't take a photo

> seems to me that managing the journal is slow through the Sugar GUI,
culling items one by one, would like to see a process to delete multiple
items quickly

> pity about this -- from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_Activity --
about the files being heavily hashed

> Files can be copied to and from the Journal's datastore using the Terminal
Activity. However, filenames are heavily hashed, meaning "myfile.bzip" might
show up as 2637-4737-13323-dl77nf, or some such gibberish. Here's how to
figure it out.