[sugar] telepathy-gabble Tubes wire protocol change

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie
Mon Sep 3 10:43:27 EDT 2007

FYI to all developers using Tubes:

The version of Gabble I hope to upload to sugar-jhbuild soon (we're waiting
for go-ahead from Jim Gettys) changes the wire protocol to something we're
able to support longer term. Once it arrives in sugar-jhbuild it'll also
be in the next image build.

The new protocol is incompatible - if old and new clients join the same
activity, old clients will not see messages that were sent by new
clients and vice versa - so once this change goes in, everyone who cares
about collaborative activities and Tubes should upgrade to the new version
of Gabble.

The new protocol also adds message fragmentation, which should fix large
messages getting dropped by the server (they'll be slow, due to server
rate-limiting, but better than nothing).

I'll reply to this list post when the new version goes in.

Regards,
	Simon
--
Simon McVittie, Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.co.uk/>