[sugar] API Reference and Tutorials please check/update your libraries

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch
Sun Sep 2 02:33:23 EDT 2007

I've been collecting pointers to (and generating) documentation for the
various components in the system into what I'm intending to become
central locations for developer documentation on the project.  If you
see some resource that developers need or would find useful that I've
missed, please add it.

There are two pages, the first is for tutorial-style documentation pointers:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tutorials

if you have or know about a developer's tutorial that isn't there,
please add it. Eventually I'd like to get a lot more sample code and
tutorials in there.

The second is a collection of pointers to reference documentation for
developers:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/API_Reference

At present a lot of this documentation is actually auto-generated pydoc
stuff, particularly for the in-house stuff.  For much of the GTK-related
stuff this is of little value due to the lack of method signatures or
useful docstrings.  If you are the owner of any of these packages (e.g.
abiword, hippo, hulahop) and have documentation available online, please
update your package's entry to point to the documentation.

Note: the various Sugar services and the Sugar GUI Shell are not
documented because they are not importable and are using top-level
executable code.  We should probably fix that structuring at some point.

Scripts to auto-generate the documentation from within an image are
available via:

    bzr branch http://www.vrplumber.com/bzr/autodoc
    cd autodoc
    ./builddocs.py

for those who want to make the pydoc-generated documentation their
primary documentation format.  It's not pretty, but at least it's
automatic :) .

Have fun all,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher