[SoaS] download/installation problems

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon Oct 11 09:35:51 EDT 2010

dbclinton wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm afraid I'm having repeated problems getting my Sugar experience off
> the ground and I need some help. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and I've
> downloaded SoaS at least three different times (the most recent as a
> 32bit torrent from http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/#downloads)
> and each package has failed. My latest attempt failed its sha1sum test
> (this was also the case with at least one of the first two download's
> hash results).
> In any case, assuming at least one of the first two packages I
> downloaded was intact, I created USB boot disks from each and managed to
> get the boot process going, only to face this fatal message:
>
> "no root device found boot has failed
> sleeping forever"

It sounds like your USB stick needs to be reset:

Method 1-) Download:

http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh

in Properties/Permissions  make it execute as a program

Root terminal :

  ./livecd-iso-to-disk  --format --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 1200
/home/(user)/Desktop/soas-3-mirabelle.iso /dev/sd(x)

hint: use mount command to get device name: ie:
/dev/sdb;/dev/sdc;/dev/sdd  ....etc be sure it is correct.

Method 2_)Use this command in terminal:

" liveusb-creator --reset-mbr "