[SoaS] [SugarClone] -was Re: You scream, I scream, ...

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:56:32 EDT 2010

A maintenance update is now available at

1. Records the remix details for the Sugar Clone in the new build file
   that displays in the 'My Settings' 'About my computer'.

   For example,

   Build: Remixed soas-i386-20100501.07.iso in a Sugar Clone prepared
            by SoaS-Mirabelle-May on 03 May 2010
          Sugar on a Stick 3 (Mirabelle)
          Fedora release 13 (Goddard)

   Sugar: 0.88.0

2. Bug fixes

   b. Improved support for cloning from one attached device to

>       another.

Test Usage:

1. Before booting the SoaS device that will be the source of the new

>    SugarClone, copy the SugarClone script to the root '/' folder at

>    the base of the filesystem for the device, or, to /mnt/live (from

>      the perspective of a running LiveOS image).

2. Boot the USB stick into SoaS and insert a second USB device into

>     the computer running that SoaS image.

3. In the Terminal Activity of that running SoaS image, enter the

>    command,

If there is more than one USB/SD storage device available, a menu of
the devices
will appear to allow you to select the target device.

The scripts will copy the currently running image to the target device. When
that device is booted, a new, Sugar Learner sign-in will be triggered.  The
previously customized Journal and operating system will be present on the
Sugar Clone image.

On a running LiveOS image, the root folder of the USB/SD device is

> available at the /mnt/live mount point.  The SugarClone script

> can be obtained (assuming Internet connectivity) as follows:

1. In the Terminal Activity, change the working directory:

   cd /mnt/live

2. wget http://people.sugarlabs.org/fgrose/SugarClone

3. chmod +x SugarClone

at this point, you may simply execute

See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Sugar_Clone for

> more information.

See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/LiveOS_image for more information
on optimizing file storage on LiveOS images.