[SoaS] [SugarClone] -was Re: You scream, I scream, ...

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue May 4 08:48:14 EDT 2010

Fred:

I just tested new script:

Several possible problems with  error handling with the new script:

1-) live USB was 4GB tried to write to 2GB USB
error :
 too small to write, shutdown
Inserted new 4GB fat 32 with no  boot flag
cd /mnt/live/SugarClone
"No such file or directory"
Reboot USB and Directory is there.....

 2-) live USB was 4GB tried to write to  fat 32 4 GB USB (no boot flag)
error:
 no boot flag*
cd /mnt/live
"No such file or directory"
Reboot USB and Directory is there.....

3-) live USB was 4GB  write to fat 32 4 GB USB with boot flag set*

SugarClone works fine

 >It looks like your error shutdown of script leaves the /mnt/live
directory in a changed state....
"Cleaning up to exit" not totally working<

*  your script error instructions for setting boot flag with parted:
'......................................
# /sbin/parted /dev/sdc
 (parted) toggle N boot
  (error: "expects partition number")?
I used Gparted on USB externally then retried it and it worked fine.

Note: script fails to make bootable USB if it is a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB
that has a hidden U3 partition.
(only removable in windows if done prior to using it in linux) (I guess
it writes grub to wrong place)
Gparted does not see this partition at all
*These are in Cheap multi-packs at Cosco and may not even be marked that
they contain the U3 partition.

Script worked great on a normal USB

SugarClone is a great Idea!

Tom Gilliard