[SoaS] SoaS test cases

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun May 2 08:58:01 EDT 2010

> * this telepathy-gabble update,
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/telepathy-gabble-0.9.11-1.fc13,
> to be pushed to the Fedora updates repo =96 it has +3 karma but is still
> in testing, and must be pushed before Tuesday; without it, collaboration
> in SoaS does not work at all.
>
> In the meantime; this will bring up the Network Neighborhood for
> Collaboration over the internet:
> Sebastian found this and it works:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=3D168852
> I uploaded it to a more convenient location:

Right. This is exactly the update we are trying to get pushed to the
Fedora updates repository, so that it will be part of the Mirabelle
build that ships on release day (5/18). As such, if someone wants to
test it, it's best if they get the RPM directly from the Fedora build
server. In order to download it, you can run:

wget http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/telepathy-gabble/0.9.11/1.fc13/i686/telepathy-gabble-0.9.11-1.fc13.i686.rpm

(This appears to be the same file Tom moved to his personal space -
there's no difference, except this comes directly from the build
system.)

Then yes, the steps below, run in the Terminal Activity, will work
(path edited for accuracy):

> su
> rpm -Uvh telepathy-gabble-0.9.11-1.fc14.i686.rpm

You don't even need to reboot. However, these instructions are *not*
things that we are looking for people to help test (in other words,
most of you can ignore everything I've just written above). We know
the fix works, we know it needs to get pushed to the updates
repository soon so it will start appearing in the nightly builds, it's
on its way in... basically, unless you're Brian Pepple or someone else
who *can* push the update to the updates repo, your time is probably
better spent on things other than testing this update, since we've
done it already. ;-)

In fact, since the current nightly compose is identical to the 4/29
image that's already been tested (since Peter and Sebastian have not
made any changes to the image in the meantime), we don't actually have
to smoke test any more images until they do make changes and then call
for smoke testing of the resulting (updated!) images on this list. As
noted in the blog post, In terms of running the tests for the upcoming
v.3.0 (F13-based) Mirabelle release, we're actually set.

So the best thing others can do to help right now is to take on the
tasks outlined at the bottom of
http://blog.melchua.com/2010/05/01/soas-test-cases-we-can-haz-them/.
One of them is install instructions, which I'll address further below:

>>   * download/install instructions for burning the image to a stick, for
>> every major operating system, that can be followed by a classroom
>> teacher without technical expertise.

> Step by step procedure to use the liveinst command in sugar terminal
> (Anaconda) to write  a 4GB USB  with a ext4 (real file system):
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category_talk:Live_USB#How_to_install_to_a_4=
GB_USB_using_liveinst.28ANACONDA.29_from_SoaS

> I wish this could be more simply scripted...It is NOT for novices to try.
> This needs to be simplified!

Thank you. However, we are specifically looking for simple
cross-platform instructions for novices, one set of instructions per
platform, which we will be able to support. Right now, this  means
writing good liveusb-creator documentation for each platform, since
that provides a consistent graphical interface to the same mode of
creation regardless of platform. After the launch of v.3.0, we can
consider alternative installation methods for v.4.0, but a good
argument will have to be made as to why it's a more novice-friendly,
sustainably supportable, etc. solution than liveusb-creator - and in
any case, it's a conversation to pick up after May 18, when v.3.0
ships.

One good place to put these instructions is on the documentation we're
going to be providing (in pdf and html form) for SoaS v3 -
instructions on how to submit patches is available at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Documentation_SOP.

http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/creation-kit/
http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/customization-guide/

I've also removed the optional tests for now, since we're trying to
keep this smoke test as small and short as possible and therefore can
only test things we're able to support.

--Mel