[SoaS] FW: Crazy SoaS Idea Another way to distribute sugar USB's

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Fri Mar 26 14:31:48 EDT 2010

Caryl;

I am uploading a 2GB USB img file  - ETA about 2 hrs

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/soas-i386-20100324-tests.tar.gz

if you expand this file you will find
soas-i386-20100324-liveusb-creator.img

Burn this to a 2Gb or larger USB/SD

dd if=soas-i386-20100324-liveusb-creator.img of=/dev/sd(*)  *( your
device name for USB, sda/sdb/sdc/.....)

This USB when booted will have liveusb-creator (with extra command
--reset-mbr ) as a sugar application ( large O ) on f3 ring.
(or command line in sugar terminal)
This can be used to make live USB sticks:
use 3 USB sticks:
  1 soas-i386-20100324-liveusb-creator Boot stick
  2 USB or CD/DVD, Containing  strawberry , Blueberry or other .iso files
  3 Target USB to write to

ALSO Note:
http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/ASLO-xo.tar.gz
Contains 111.xo activities; that can be , expanded, and transferred to
1GB or larger USB  for "sneakernet" off web installs of activity.xo by
drag and drop in sugar from inserted USB to Journal in sugar frame.

Tom Gilliard

----------------------Tests on this USB Booted--------------------------

=test of soas-i386-20100324.21.iso=
Nightly Composes (f13 rawhide)

written to 2 GB lexar firefly USB stick (OS=Ubuntu 9.04)

In Terminal:
su -c "./livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 800
soas-i386-20100324.21.iso /dev/sdg"

==Test Activities==
Booted USB in EeePC900

+=Started and stopped correctly
*** (-) Broken and will not start

IRC.5=+ (yum remove XoIRC.activity, then DL IRC.xo from ASLO in Browse)
Browse.114+
Etoys.113+ (no color on icon after use)
Visual Match.21+
***Speak.14(-) Pulses, no pop up to stop. Vu.lux.olpc.speak.log blank
inlog application
Calculate.30+
Turtle Art.83+
Finance+
Typing Turtle.26+
Log.23+
Memorize.33+
implode.9+
Connect.22+
Image Viewer.14+
Chat.66+
Get IA Books.3+
***write.68(-) top bar turns white and cannot access buttons
Clock.5+  Talks
Infoslicer.6+
Jukebox.18+
PlayGo.5+
Physics.4+
Terminal.31+
FlipSticks.2+
***Maze.6 (popup to stop)
pippy+
analyze.8+
*** all four of TAM TAM apps failed (popup to stop) ver 51 and 52
record.64+ Video and audio OK (took picture)
Read.78+
liveusb-creator.1+ Sugarized In F3 Circle Field as large "O" icon

Notes on how to sugarize applications:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:Live_USB#Fedora_Notes_on_How_to_Create_a_Live_USB_from_a_LiveCD

( works fine, made strawberry 2GB USB with it using 3 sticks)
  1 Boot stick
  2 Contains strawberry.iso
  3 Target to write

==copy to img file for archiving and Duplication==:
sudo su
<password>
dd if=/dev/sdg of=soas-i386-20100324-liveusb-creator.img
3915776+0 records in
3915776+0 records out
2004877312 bytes (2.0 GB) copied, 91.129 s, 22.0 MB/s