[SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Oct 2 18:26:30 EDT 2009

Wade Brainerd wrote:

[...] snip!

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Martin Dengler
> <martin at martindengler.com <mailto:martin at martindengler.com>> wrote:
>
>     1) is SoaS a separate distro to Fedora
>
> No - it changes less than 0.1% of Fedora so I cannot call it a separate
> distro.

It's not as easy as that. Currently, SoaS *is* a separate distro. It
doesn't affiliate itself anyhow with Fedora branding-wise. It uses
Fedora as a base system, but it doesn't get promoted as the "Fedora
Sugar Spin". However, this could change *if* the way to go was to have a
ton of different distributions competing for the brand's name.

The point some people have been making is that the underlying
distribution is *entirely* different. I've supported that, stating that
SoaS was much more than just a Fedora Remix. But I'm not sure whether
that's feasible, depending on the outcome of this discussion.

>     2) should SL distribute a distro of its own
>
> Irrelevant per 1

I guess that would bring Sean up...

>     3) can SL do this (#2) additional work
>
> Irrelevant per 1

I feel so irrelevant... heh, just kidding. :)

> Best,
> Wade

--Sebastian