[SoaS] generate list of Spins of Sugar

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Oct 2 18:44:41 EDT 2009

Mel Chua wrote:
> Well, if it's in someone's interest, they'll do it. If it turns out to
> be against someone else's interest, they'll revert/edit it.

I think I'm with Sean on this one.

> I'm interested in seeing what will happen if I do this, so...
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Talk%3ASugar_on_a_Stick&diff=38610&oldid=38589
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick#See_also
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:Liveusb

A grumble from my side? Heh, well. See, this (Sugar_on_a_Stick) is still
the page we're directing users at. And the SoaS pages are generally
already way too cluttered. I'd strongly prefer not add different
solutions there when they're not SoaS (which actually depends on the
outcome of the discussion, which has been going on for a pretty long, if
not too long time).

I don't object against adding anything to the Get Sugar! page (aka:
Downloads). It's a pretty common page and should contain all the
possibilities we're offering. But I really don't think that the SoaS
project page is the place for that - because that dedicated to... SoaS.

I wonder if we've the time to play this game through (is it one,
actually?) all the time. Yes, I'm assuming a good intentions most of the
time, but sometimes even good intentions can cause confusing results. I
wasn't that much involved in the old days, but if I recall correctly,
even OLPC had pages "monitored" (or administrated?) by the OLPC Dev
Team, when it came down to the critical ones.

> Sean, *please* feel free to yell at me and push back/revert if you think
> any of this is premature - I tried to be careful to keep the "this is a
> draft, we haven't decided, the discussion is on this mailing list"
> wording, but if there's anything you'd like changed about the content on
> these pages for Great Justice And Marketing, please please please please
> edit (or tell me to do so).

I guess we've all better things to do than just watching wiki pages all
day long. So please lets just try to come to a decision.

> I don't want to jump the gun and publicly declare a decision when a
> consensus hasn't yet been reached - but neither do I want to get stuck
> talking about hypotheticals, so this is my attempt at balancing the two.

A last thought: Yes, Mel, you're right - sometimes pushing in this or
that direction *is* needed to move things forward. And it's probably
here the case, too. Thanks for trying to get us all on track!

> --Mel

--Sebastian