[SoaS] updating the draft decision panel report

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Mon Nov 2 19:01:24 EST 2009

Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> Douglas has a good point... if you are a Linux developer. However, if
> our target end users are to come from the education community, it is
> very doubtful that they will be familiar with publications such as the
> excellent one he references.  Having many different names for different
> versions of Sugar on a usb stick will only confuse them.  This seems a
> place where the good old KISS principle should apply.

Caryl, your point is valid and not unexpected.  However without
references to more mainstream press which supports your assertion that
'sugar on a stick' is more a general term than a specific one, I remain
unpersuaded by your argument.

Actually, I think the phrase you used 'sugar on a usb stick' is the
defacto general term, as no project has used that phrase for a specific
piece/collection of software.  And as a general name, similar to 'linux
on a usb stick', I think it inevitable and expected that there would be
many names, which would serve to alleviate confusion and not cause it.
I.e. 'ubuntu linux on a usb stick' and 'fedora linux on a usb stick'.

Again, if history were different, or if articles/press that you refer me
to revise my understanding of history, I would not be surprised to see
the phrase 'sugar on a stick' emerge as a general term.  But from my
limited vantage point (and I get the impression I am on the side of
consensus here), that is not what happened.

-dmc

P.S. my apologies for not being subscribed to the marketing list and
thus able to easily post there as well.