[Marketing] SoaS change in engineering direction: marketing questions

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Mar 19 22:16:18 EDT 2010

SoaS engineering just proposed a major change-in-direction for the
upcoming (Mirabelle) release. See
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/soas/2010-March/000906.html

Some questions for the Marketing group about this idea, based on
discussions with Sean today (Sean, are we missing anything?)

0. Sanity check - what do you think about this notion in general? We
apologize for the time crunch, but Beta Freeze is coming up on Tuesday,
March 23rd, and we need to have a clear notion of our forward path by then.

1. There was concern expressed that a SoaS image that doesn't have a lot
of Activities "out of the box" would be less optimal for demo purposes.
Is there a need for instructions on how people can make their own "demo
sticks" with more Activities (any Activities they want)? Can this need
continue to be filled by Strawberry and/or Blueberry until the next
release (in November 2010)?

2. How can SoaS engineering keep track of development releases in a way
that makes sense to us (for instance, this change would be a significant
departure from the past releases, and would therefore warrant a full
version number) while not interfering with Marketing's plans? (We
realize this release would not be marketed to users - it would be used
as a recruitment tool for contributors instead.)

Feedback? Questions? Comments? Firestorm?

We'll be tinkering further on this over the weekend - we can do another
kickstart on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, so we have 3 drafts left to
figure this out with. Please join us (sdziallas & mchua on #sugar) and
ask questions if you have any, or join in and help if you have ideas on
how to improve this.

Thanks,

--Sebastian and Mel