[SoaS] Sugar on a Stick Changing Engineering Direction

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Mar 19 22:19:00 EDT 2010

Some of you may have overheard activity in #sugar-meeting today
discussing the upcoming beta freeze for SoaS, and the engineering
capacity we have to work on things for the upcoming release (in May,
since as a Fedora Spin we are tied to the Fedora release schedule).

The short version is that we'd like to try something pretty drastic -
prior SoaS versions have included large numbers of Activities, which
weren't always maintained and didn't always work, so we propose shipping
a slimmed down version of SoaS with a small number of known-to-work
Activities with active upstream maintainers (that we'll have the
bandwidth to thoroughly test between now and May's release, and the
bandwidth to relay deployment feedback back up to) and creating
resources on how to find other excellent material at
http://activities.sugarlabs.org.

Here's a draft kickstart file of what a slimmed-down SoaS release might
look like. It includes a few core Activities that will help you get,
debug, and ask questions about more Activities (Browse, Log, and IRC),
as well as a few well-tested Activities with active upstreams that we
think tend to "demo well" for a variety of audiences and contexts
(young/adult audience, large/small audience, dev/user/teacher audience,
hands-on-lab/demo-on-projector audience, etc).

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/soas/repos/mainline/blobs/master/fedora-livecd-soas.ks

And here's the image it produces - we haven't had time to download and
test it yet, but are working on that right now, so you may beat us to
finding out whether it works or not. ;-)

http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/3/soas-3-20100319.iso

In comparison, here's the old kickstart file with a large number of
Activities, and the image it produced - if you try it out, you'll find
that many of the Activities don't work, the quality of experience is
inconsistent, and... well, we hope you'll see why we'd like to narrow
the scope of this release's features to the amount of work we can
comfortably maintain.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/spin-kickstarts?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livecd-soas.ks
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/soas/soas-i386-20100318.17.iso

The rationale behind this is as follows:

1. Our ultimate goal is to produce a rock-solid deployment image with a
wide variety of many Activities with active upstream maintainers, plus
resources to engage users with those upstream communities and with
communities of other learners. This was clarified in the earlier Sugar
on a Stick Mission Statement:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-September/008322.html

2. Since we don't currently have the resources to do this, we think a
good intermediate step is to produce a rock-solid deployment image with
a SMALL variety of many Activities with active upstream maintainers,
plus resources to engage users with those upstream communities and with
communities of other learners. This sets the bar for both the quality of
the Activity and maintenance, and the level of interaction that Activity
upstreams can expect from users.

3. Saving a good number of known-to-be-awesome Activities for
http://activities.sugarlabs.org and creating (kid-tested and
teacher-tested) resources on how to get stuff from ASLO sets a dynamic
of experimentation, trying-stuff-out, and user community engagement that
we want to see.

We don't know if this is a good idea or not. We think so, and we don't
have much time to decide as Beta Freeze is this upcoming Tuesday, March
23. Feedback? Questions? Comments? Firestorm?

We'll be tinkering further on this over the weekend - we can do another
kickstart on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, so we have 3 drafts left to
figure this out with. Please join us (sdziallas & mchua on #sugar) and
ask questions if you have any, or join in and help if you have ideas on
how to improve this.

Thanks!

--Mel and Sebastian

PS: We're going to ask more specific questions on the marketing and
activities lists about this in a moment, for those of you following
those sections of SL as well - and send a general iaep notification that
these conversation threads are going on. One second...