Static site feedback: Features page copy rewrite draft
sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:36:42 EST 2009
* "hundreds" of tools/Activities, or "dozens"?
* "X languages" - I still don't know how many ;-)
*************** features ***************
What makes Sugar different?
* Sugar facilitates sharing and collaboration: Children can write,
share books, or make music together with a single mouse-click.
* Activities, not applications.
* Automatic backup of Activity work; no worrying about files or
folders. Sugar's Journal makes it almost impossible to lose any data.
* The Journal records everything you do: It is a place to reflect
upon and evaluate your work.
* Sugar runs on most computer hardware, including slower machines.
* Sugar is free software: It is written in the modern Python
language and easily customized.
* Sugar is documented by its users: It is easy to use and teachers
worldwide have created a wealth of pedagogical materials for it.
What are the benefits of using Sugar?
* Hundreds of tools for discovery through exploring, expressing,
and sharing: browsing, writing, etc.
* Built-in collaboration system: peer-to-peer learning; always-on
support; and single-click sharing.
* The Journal is a built-in portfolio assessment tool that serves
as a forum for discussion between children, parents, and teachers.
* A discoverable learning platform: it uses simple means to reach
to complex ends.
* Designed for local appropriation: it has built-in tools for
making changes and improvements and a growing global community of
support. X languages are currently available.
* An emphasis on learning through doing and debugging: more
engaged learners are able to tackle authentic problems.
* Available in a wide variety of forms: as part of GNU/Linux
distributions; LiveCD, LiveUSB; and in a virtual machine.
What are the Sugar advantages?
* Superior pedagogical framework
* Unique collaboration and journaling (evaluation) features
* Large & successful installed base with hundreds of activities
* Large and committed community base (both developers and teachers)
* 24/7 community support; training and workshop materials available
* Rapidly expanding teacher-driven development
* Easily localizable and customizable
* Free open source software: no licensing fees
* A global project: no single point of dependency or failure
* Great potential for local job creation
*************** /features ***************
More information about the Marketing